[U-Boot] "raise" not defined, when compiler uses its own div0

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Wed Aug 12 08:22:46 CEST 2009

Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:58 PM
Subject: Re: [U-Boot] "raise" not defined, when compiler uses its own div0

> Dear Ulf Samuelsson,
>
> In message <4A81E724.3070205 at atmel.com> you wrote:
>>
>> > Try setting USE_PRIVATE_LIBGCC=yes in your envrionment, like
>> >
>> > USE_PRIVATE_LIBGCC=yes make ...
>>
>> I have done two fixes to make it build with openembedded.
>> 1) Define "raise" in libarm/board.c which calls hang.
>
> Did you use "USE_PRIVATE_LIBGCC=yes", and it still needed raise(),
> or did you implement that workaround instead of using
> "USE_PRIVATE_LIBGCC=yes".
>
> Normally no raise() should be needed when using USE_PRIVATE_LIBGCC=yes

Instead, since I think it is ugly.
If I build u-boot from the u-boot dir outside the buildsystem,
it also means a lot of typing - If I remember to do it...

Why not make it a default mode?
Then there is no problem anywhere and the patch is not needed.

>> 2) Changes mapi to "-mapi=aapcs-linux" in cpu/arm926ej-s/config.mk
>>    Some toolchains want to keep apcs-gnu I guess.
>
> I wonder why we enforce a specific API at all - would it not be better
> to use the toolchain provided default settings?

I tried that, but that did not work with openembedded. '
I suspect that the openembedded  libraries are built with -mapi-aapcs-linux.
-mapi=apcs-gnu is not a problem with buildroot.

A similar thing:
For ARM,  "-msoftfloat"  is enforced, and I think that should be removed.
AFAIK there are no floating point stuff in u-boot, and why then
enforce something which might or might not work for an
arbitrary toolchain.

Is there any toolchain that will not work, if -msoftfloat is removed?

> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk
>
> --
> Single tasking: Just Say No.

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson                ulf at atmel.com
Atmel Nordic AB
Mail:  Box 2033, 174 02 Sundbyberg, Sweden
Visit:  Kavallerivägen 24, 174 58 Sundbyberg, Sweden
Phone +46 (8) 441 54 22     Fax +46 (8) 441 54 29
GSM    +46 (706) 22 44 57