[U-Boot] RFC: "make DESTDIR=xxx install" ?

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Thu Aug 13 17:38:58 CEST 2009

Many packages support installing the resulting binary in another
location, but U-Boot does not.

When you use buildsystems like buildroot and openembedded,
you want to collect the end result in a target directory,
and while you can use internal knowledge about u-boot
to do so, it seems cleaner to me, to do a "make DESTDIR install".

Since you may want to put the binaries for several
boards in the same directory (like /tftpboot)
it is not always good to call the binary simply u-boot.bin.

I guess "make DESTDIR=<destination> TARGET=<name> install" would work

Alternatively, we collect the final binary from several variables,

openembedded typically calls the end binary:
${MACHINE}-u-boot-${U_BOOT_VERSION}-${REVISION}.bin

Feedback?

BR
Ulf Samuelsson