[U-Boot] RFC: "make DESTDIR=xxx install" ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 13 20:06:53 CEST 2009

Dear Ulf Samuelsson,

In message <4A843392.4020800 at atmel.com> you wrote:
> Many packages support installing the resulting binary in another
> location, but U-Boot does not.
>
> When you use buildsystems like buildroot and openembedded,
> you want to collect the end result in a target directory,
> and while you can use internal knowledge about u-boot
> to do so, it seems cleaner to me, to do a "make DESTDIR install".

Did you consider using out-of-tree builds for that?

> Since you may want to put the binaries for several
> boards in the same directory (like /tftpboot)

In my experience this is not exactly a lucky choice; if youu have to
maintain more than just a few boards, you definitely want to have a
subdirectory per board in /tftpboot.

> it is not always good to call the binary simply u-boot.bin.

...which then is not problem any more.

> I guess "make DESTDIR=<destination> TARGET=<name> install" would work
>
> Alternatively, we collect the final binary from several variables,

One question remains: what is "the final binary"?  for  example,  for
the  "kilauea"  board  it  may be "u-boot.bin" (when booting from NOR
flash), but it might also be "u-boot-nand.bin" (when booting from NOR
flash). Oh, and board "foo"  uses  not  the  binary  image,  but  the
S-Record  file  in  their factory installer, so we use "u-boot.srec".
Another  board  requires  am  Intel  hex   image,   so   they   build
"u-boot.hex". For the Marvell processors, we will use a special image
format,  so  it's "u-boot.kwb". BlackFin uses some similar mechanism,
but a different name, IIRC.

And no, we definitlely do not always want to build (and install) all
these images. That would be just a waste of resources.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I can't say I've ever been lost, but I was bewildered once for  three
days.                                     - Daniel Boone (Attributed)