[U-Boot] License Problems for standalone application at u-boot

Peter Chen hzpeterchen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 08:38:20 CEST 2009

Dear Wolfgang,

I have still some puzzled which you wrote below :

1. Does jump table means the function lists which the standalone
applications uses?

2. If the functions includes some u-boot header file, it belongs to
derived work or not?

Thank you!

 NOTE! This copyright does *not* cover the so-called "standalone"
applications that use U-Boot services by means of the jump table
provided by U-Boot exactly for this purpose - this is merely
considered normal use of U-Boot, and does *not* fall under the
heading of "derived work".

  The header files "include/image.h" and "include/asm-*/u-boot.h"
define interfaces to U-Boot. Including these (unmodified) header
files in another file is considered normal use of U-Boot, and does
*not* fall under the heading of "derived work".

  Also note that the GPL below is copyrighted by the Free Software
Foundation, but the instance of code that it refers to (the U-Boot
source code) is copyrighted by me and others who actually wrote it.
-- Wolfgang Denk

Best Regards,
Peter Chen