[U-Boot] davinci_emac.c:*: warning: duplicate `volatile'

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Aug 17 21:13:43 CEST 2009

Dear ksi at koi8.net,

In message <Pine.LNX.4.64ksi.0908171053160.9943 at home-gw.koi8.net> you wrote:

> what compiler do you use? I just compiled all the davinci boards with
> GNUEABI GCC 4.4.1 (binutils ver.2.19.1) and I didn't get a single compiler
> warning.

I was playing with old tool chains actually. That was with gcc 3.3.x.

> There are 2 separate issues but they are not related to the above
> description.
>
> First is that it fails to compile with GNUEABI GCC but that is addressed in
> your recent arm build patch that works OK.

Thanks for the confirmation! Much appreciated. Could you please send
an Ack-by or Tested-by for that patch? Thanks in advance.

> The second one is that GCC 4.4.1 (don't know about the older ones, don't
> have those on my machine now) generates an error for inline weak functions
> in lib_arm/board.c (and I think it is totally correct -- what is an inline
> weak function?) Here is the failed build log excertpt:

A patch for this has been posted some time ago. See
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/65397/focus=65559

we're just waiting for the ARM custodian to take appropriate action.

> As for those "duplicate `volatile'" warnings I don't see them (and have
> never seen them before) so I don't know what to fix.
>
> I can send you my build logs off the list if you want.

Well, here is an example - building davinci_schmoogie using ELDK 3.1.1
(gcc version 3.3.3):

davinci_emac.c:82: warning: duplicate `volatile'
davinci_emac.c:83: warning: duplicate `volatile'
davinci_emac.c:84: warning: duplicate `volatile'
davinci_emac.c:85: warning: duplicate `volatile'
davinci_emac.c: In function `davinci_eth_open':
davinci_emac.c:257: warning: duplicate `volatile'
davinci_emac.c: In function `davinci_eth_rcv_packet':
davinci_emac.c:475: warning: duplicate `volatile'
davinci_emac.c:476: warning: duplicate `volatile'
davinci_emac.c:477: warning: duplicate `volatile'
davinci_emac.c:496: warning: duplicate `volatile'

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Our business is run on trust.  We trust you will pay in advance.