[U-Boot] 83xx and LCRR setting

Heiko Schocher hs at denx.de
Tue Aug 18 15:23:47 CEST 2009

Hello Kim,

I actually work on an u-boot mpc8321 port (mostly identical with the kmeter1
port already in mainline), and I have to set the LCRR (Clock Ratio Register
Reference Manual 10.3.1.14). As I see in

cpu/mpc83xx/cpu_init.c cpu_init_f()

this is done while running from flash. Hmm... the Reference manual
says in chapter 10.3.1.14 page 474:

NOTE
For proper operation of the system, this register setting must not be altered
while local bus memories or devices are being accessed. Special care needs
to be taken when running instructions from an local bus controller memory.

Hmm...

On my board (and for example on the MPC832XEMDS) the flash is connected
to the localbus ... and this register setting is done, while
running from flash ... Hmm.. is this safe?

I only can set the LCRR register succesfully on my board port, if
I set the LCRR_DBYP bit in the CONFIG_SYS_LCRR define, without it
I couldn;t run u-boot (with it, it works fine)

Unfortunately this LCRR_DBYP bit (0x80000000) is not documented in
the MPC8323ERM ... there, it is just marked as reserved (and set
to 1 on reset)

So, it is ok, just to set this LCRR_DBYP bit? Or should the LCRR
register only changed, if u-boot runs from ram? Or ...?

bye
Heiko