[U-Boot] Porting to Broadcom BCM7038 (Hermes board)

Peter Belm peterbelm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 15:32:54 CEST 2009

I posted a message before about this, but I didn't really give it the most
descriptive subject (I went off to find the chip model and then forgot to
add it to the subject, doh!)

Basically I'm trying to port uboot to the Broadcom BCM7038 chip, the current
bootloader I have is specific to the board (Hermes), and loads the kernel
from flash. I'd rather use uboot to start the SATA HDD and load the Linux
kernel from there. I have the source code for the bootloader and all the
Linux drivers, as well as documentation on the processor, but I'm not very
good at low level code.

As far as I can see I need to create a cpu/bcm7038 directory, add the
start.S from the original bootloader, and modify it to work with uboot (this
is the part I'm really not sure on!). Then add a board/hermes directory with
the rest of the original bootloader init code, and modify that to include
the SATA drivers, bring up the SATA interface, then load the kernel. But
theory is far from practice, and I'm already having trouble.

Would someone be able to assist me in porting to this cpu/board?

--
Regards,
Peter Belm