[U-Boot] SD card support for U-boot 1.3.4

Jimmy Shergill uboot1.3.4 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 17:31:10 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:

> Dear Jimmy Shergill,
>
> In message <a9bbcd260912011250n52ee1943o4b114d78049ed04e at mail.gmail.com>
> you wrote:
> >
> > I am a new user of U-boot and Linux. Please bear with me. I have Atmel
> > AT91SAM9263-EK (ARM based) and have U-boot 1.3.4 running on it. Currently
> > U-boot, Linux Kernel and jffs2 root filesystem, all are in NAND flash and
> > work fine. We need to boot the evaluation kit from SD Card.
>
> U-Boot 1.3.4 is well over a year old. Please do yourself (and  us)  a
> favour  and  update. There is little general interest if feature X is
> working or available in such ancient  versions.  Please  use  current
> code instead.

Thanks for your reply. As suggested, I have downloaded version 2009.08 and
built it like this (please tell me if thats correct)

# make at91sam9263ek_config
... with environment variable in SPI DATAFLASH CS0
Configuring for at91sam9263ek board...
# make all CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-

I do have u-boot.bin now. My next questions are:
1. Can I just rename it boot.bin and put it in the root folder of SD card
and try to use it on the board? I am confused by the message after make
at91sam9263ek_config command. Does it mean it can be used only with
Dataflash card or I can use it in SD card too.

2. I am using bootstrap from Atmel's
http://www.at91.com/linux4sam/bin/view/Linux4SAM/AT91Bootstrap . The
bootstraps are only available for DataFlash and Nand Flash. Please advise,
which bootstrap do I use to have bootstrap and U-boot on SD Card only.

Thanks for your help, friends.