[U-Boot] MPC8567 - TEXT BASE boot rom question... Half the message was missing.. trying again..

Bob Winslow bob.winslow at sevis.com
Fri Dec 11 23:59:09 CET 2009

Thanks Scott, that helped alot... i think I understand a bit more..

>>  I have tried to change the value of TEXT_BASE to (xFFF8_0000) in the
>> config.mk file(and other
>> entries) but I must not be doing something else right..
> What specifically happened when you tried changing TEXT_BASE?

ok, I set TEXT_BASE to 0xFFF8_000  and it creates the 512kB u-boot.bin
image just fine...

> You should write it to the end of flash.

Yep, I think that was my issue all along.. I was always writing images
to the beginning of the flash..
If I write the file to the last 512KB of the flash, it boots fine now...

> The size of your image is going to be RESET_VECTOR_ADDRESS - TEXT_BASE
> + 4.  Note that TEXT_BASE/RESET_VECTOR_ADDRESS should be set to the
> appropriate offset from where u-boot puts the flash.  This isn't
> necessarily where the hardware maps the flash on power-on, though from
> your board config it doesn't look like you move it.
>>
>> #define CONFIG_SYS_FLASH_BASE           0xfe000000      /* start of
>> FLASH 8M */
>
> 4M flash or 8M?
yep it is just 4M... I moved the BASE to 0xFFC0_0000  and will correct
comments.. (wasn't worried about comments yet...)

>> #define CONFIG_SYS_LBC_FLASH_BASE       CONFIG_SYS_FLASH_BASE
>>
>> /*Chip select 0 - Flash*/
>> #define CONFIG_SYS_BR0_PRELIM           0xfe001001
>> #define CONFIG_SYS_OR0_PRELIM           0xfe006ff7
>
> This is configuring the flash window for 32M...  It should be
> harmless, though -- the flash contents should just repeat within that
> window.
 Changed these to 0xFFCxxxxxxx  so it is just 4M now...

>>         SET_LAW(CONFIG_SYS_LBC_FLASH_BASE, LAW_SIZE_16M,
>> LAW_TRGT_IF_LBC),
> This looks like a problem -- you're setting the flash LAW to be only
> 16M, but the window is 32M...  Either change
> TEXT_BASE/RESET_VECTOR_ADDRESS to be within the LAW, or extend/move
> the LAW.

Flash base is at 0xFFC0_0000 now, so I changed it to 4M law size...

with these changes, it seems to work just fine if I put the u-boot image
in the last 512kB of the 4M flash..... which is great, thanks!!

Is it possible to change TEXT_BASE and RESET_VECTOR_ADDRESS in such a
way that I can put the 512kB uboot image at the
beginning of the 4M flash instead of the end??

Bob