[U-Boot] Preparing a patch for u-boot

Daniel Jabbour daniel at laptouchinc.com
Tue Feb 3 00:20:07 CET 2009

Hi,

After reading over the U-Boot patch submission guidelines, I want to
ask the list before I go ahead and prepare a patch. I am working with
a hardware vendor using the XBurst CPU SOC (system on chip). It's
basically a MIPS32 compatible CPU with various integrated functions
made by Ingenic Semiconductor. A number of low-cost tiny laptops are
using the chipset, as well as some embedded systems.

The vendor has done a reasonable job releasing all their work under
GPL and getting the boards to run on Linux 2.4/2.6 series kernels.
They also patched U-Boot to work with their specific chipset and
boards. The patch is released here: ftp://ftp.ingenic.cn/3sw/01linux/01loader/u-boot/u-boot-1.1.6-jz-20080530.patch.gz

After looking through the patch, it seems to do the following major
things (against U-Boot 1.1.6):
  * Add board support for the various boards that use their XBurst
chipset
  * Added LCD support for their boards
  * Add specific CPU code to the MIPS CPU for their XBurst chipset
  * Modified the NAND read/write/erase commands to enable bad block
handling

My question is essentially: besides updating the patch against the
latest GIT version of U-Boot, what would you recommend I do with the
code to assist in integrating it into the U-Boot mainline? I realize
there are some stylistic changes, but overall, if you could briefly
review the patch and give me some pointers it would be most helpful
(i.e. would you like this split into several patches, does the patch
make any changes that you would not consider for introduction into the
mainline, etc)? Thank you very much in advance,

Daniel

--
Daniel Jabbour
Software Engineer