[U-Boot] Cant Create FIT uImage

hendrik hendrik.vastech at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 14:35:44 CET 2009

Hi all

I would like to boot using the new style FDT kernel booting. I have been
using the guidelines in "u-boot-2009/doc/uImage.FIT/how to" and I have
the latests dtc (v1.2) .  But I am unable to compile the FIT image. I
get a syntax error for line 1:

    #u-boot/tools/mkimage -f  /work/kernel_fdt.its   /work/kernel_fdt.itb
      FIT format handling
      Trying to execute "dtc -I dts -O dtb -p 500 /work/kernel_fdt.its >
    /work/kernel_fdt.itb.tmp"
      DTC: dts->dtb  on file "/work/kernel_fdt.its"
      Error: /work/kernel_fdt.its 1:0 syntax error
      FATAL ERROR: Unable to parse input tree
      usr/src/u-boot/tools/mkimage: Can't read /work/kernel_fdt.itb.tmp:
    Invalid argument
    #

Can anyone pleas help me to get the FIT image to compile?
My kernel_fdt.its looks as follows: ( taken tron the example given in
u-boot-2009/doc/uImage.FIT/kernel_fdt.its )

    / {
        #address-cells = <1>;
        description = "Simple image with single Linux kernel and FDT blob";

        images {
            kernel at 1 {
                description = "Linux kernel";
                data = /incbin/("/work/build/target/linux/vmlinux.bin.gz");
                type = "kernel";
                arch = "ppc";
                os = "linux";
                compression = "gzip";
                load = <00000000>;
                entry = <00000000>;
                hash at 1 {
                    algo = "crc32";
                };
                hash at 2 {
                    algo = "sha1";
                };
            };
            fdt at 1 {
                description = "Flattened Device Tree blob";
                data = /incbin/("/work/build/target/boot/equus.dtb");
                type = "flat_dt";
                arch = "ppc";
                compression = "none";
                hash at 1 {
                    algo = "crc32";
                };
                hash at 2 {
                    algo = "sha1";
                };
            };
        };

        configurations {
            default = "conf at 1";
            conf at 1 {
                description = "Boot Linux kernel with FDT blob";
                kernel = "kernel at 1";
                fdt = "fdt at 1";
            };
        };