[U-Boot] Cant Create FIT uImage

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Feb 16 22:07:12 CET 2009

Dear hendrik,

In message <499425B0.2050200 at gmail.com> you wrote:

> I would like to boot using the new style FDT kernel booting. I have been
> using the guidelines in "u-boot-2009/doc/uImage.FIT/how to" and I have
> the latests dtc (v1.2) .  But I am unable to compile the FIT image. I
> get a syntax error for line 1:
>
>     #u-boot/tools/mkimage -f  /work/kernel_fdt.its   /work/kernel_fdt.itb
>       FIT format handling
>       Trying to execute "dtc -I dts -O dtb -p 500 /work/kernel_fdt.its >
>     /work/kernel_fdt.itb.tmp"
>       DTC: dts->dtb  on file "/work/kernel_fdt.its"
>       Error: /work/kernel_fdt.its 1:0 syntax error
>       FATAL ERROR: Unable to parse input tree
>       usr/src/u-boot/tools/mkimage: Can't read /work/kernel_fdt.itb.tmp:
>     Invalid argument
>     #
>
> Can anyone pleas help me to get the FIT image to compile?

You need a dtc version that supports the binary include feature.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
You could end up being oddly sad and full of a strange, diffuse  com-
passion  which would lead you to believe that it might be a good idea
to wipe out the whole human race and start again with amoebas.
                                 - Terry Pratchett, _Guards! Guards!_