[U-Boot] U-boot mainline build fails on MMC

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Feb 19 21:04:02 CET 2009

Dear Remy,

In message <3efb10970902190815v2fc3010dg5574891a9ab26f07 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> >> I know you do not want build failure messages on the list, but this
> > You are absolutely right - instead of build failure messages I prefer
> > to see patches that fix build failures :-)
>
> Instead of sending patches, I would prefer such patches not hitting
> mainline at all...

You are right, that would be best.

Next best is to provide fixes.

> I think it is the job of the one who breaks things to repair the
> damage, but that person sometimes needs to be told that he broke
> something, because I assume it is not broken on purpose. That's why I
> posted this build log. Do not shoot the messenger...

The thing is that patches get posted here for review. People are
supposed to have a look at the patches, and eventually even try these
out. If there have no complaints been posted after a couple of days,
patches will get applied.

Even for a very careful submitter it is usually impossible to compile
all boards on all architectures. Speaking for myself, I don't even
have toolchains installed for BlackFin, AVR32, Leon, MicroBlaze, NIOS
and some other archictures - do you?

So we have to rely on co-operation of as many developers in the
community as posible.

> And if the breakage was small, I would already have made a patch. But
> the breakage is that huge here, that I would suggest to revert those
> patches, until the committer has solved the bugs he introduced.

What if the problem doesn't show up on the boards he can build, but
shows up on the boards you can build?

> (If fixing this takes a long time from now, the tree is no longer
> proper bisect-able, therefore reverting could be wiser.)

So please help out...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The thing is, as you progress in the Craft,  you'll  learn  there  is
another rule... When you break rules, break 'em good and hard.
                                    - Terry Pratchett, _Wyrd Sisters_