[U-Boot] saveenv command erases flash u-boot

Michael Lawnick nospam_lawnick at gmx.de
Mon Feb 23 13:24:44 CET 2009

rudresh said the following:
[quoting repaired]
> Michael Lawnick wrote:
>>
>> rudresh said the following:
>>> i'm using u-boot -1.3.0 in MPC8313 evaluation board, it having a NAND ,
>>> NOR
>>> Flash , u-boot stored in NOR flash. when i do the saveenv , reset command
>>> the u-boot is erased. i'm not able to fix  this issue.  help me to fix
>>> this
>>> issue
>>
>> Sounds U-Boot and environment share a flash sector.
>> You'll have to give more info for correct diagnostic:
>> Flash size, sector size, u-boot start address and size, position of
>> environment data and if applicable of redundancy data.
> Details are as follows .. the flash size 16Mbyte Nor flash.. NAND flash
> 256MB.
> /*
>  * Environment
>  */
>
> #if defined(CONFIG_NAND_U_BOOT)
> #elif !defined(CFG_RAMBOOT)
> #else
> #endif

And now you expect me to guess your boot setting?

Assuming neither CONFIG_NAND_U_BOOT nor CFG_RAMBOOT are set: check
u-boot image size against 256k, as the offset of environment seems to be
set to CFG_MONITOR_BASE + 0x40000

Or is ONFIG_NAND_U_BOOT set (would be the explanation why you mention
NAND at all ...)? With u-boot in NOR this indicates a general
code/configuration problem in your image.

HTH
--

Michael