[U-Boot] CONFIG_SYS_HZ: Please revert breaking net commit

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Feb 24 22:29:37 CET 2009

Dear Detlef Vollmann,

In message <49A44806.9050902 at vollmann.ch> you wrote:

> commit 49f3bdbba8071f56d950a9498b6cdb998b35340a
> This commit breaks *silently* all boards that don't return
> milliseconds from get_timer, i.e. have a different value for
> CONFIG_SYS_HZ than 1000.

No, this is not true. All these boards ARE already broken because they
use anincorrect timer setup. The patch just makes the problem visible.

> I'm open to any discussion about removing CONFIG_SYS_HZ, but
> if it is removed, it should be removed explicitely, and not
> just silently ignored.

There is no need in the code to use CONFIG_SYS_HZ, because the code
just used get_timer() as specified, i. e. it expects correct
behaviour.  If your implementation is broken, you should fix your
implementation.

BTW: how comes it takes you nearly half a year to detect this?

> So I see following reasons to revert the above commit:
>   - silently breaks existing boards

These boards were already broken before.

>   - silently ignores a still valid CONFIG setting

It does not ignore it. It does not need it, because it is specified
that get_timer() uses milisecond resolution.

>   - bad programming style anyway: even if CONFIG_SYS_HZ would
>     go away, there should be some internal define that should
>     be used in code

I don't understand what you mean.

>   - the intended benefit 'millisecond granularity for network-related
>     timeouts' can be achieved while still keeping CONFIG_SYS_HZ

Instead of complaining about a patch that was discussed and cehcekd
in many months ago you could rather spend your time on fixing your
broken boards.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
This is now.  Later is later.