[U-Boot] [RFC] Build errors in u-boot mainline and daily builds

Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD plagnioj at jcrosoft.com
Sat Jan 3 16:37:49 CET 2009

On 12:10 Sat 03 Jan     , Remy Bohmer wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I started a server to do only daily builds of all U-boot board
> configurations. (currently on a old slow box, but it works, it takes
> about 2 hours to build all boards for ARM only)
>
> The primary goal was to find early compile regressions in the
> u-boot-USB tree that I maintain, before pushing patches to mainline.
> To find a regression compared to u-boot mainline, the u-boot mainline
> (master branch) also needs to build, so I build that tree also daily
> from now.
>
> Currently I only build for ARM based boards, but there is no limit on
> architectures, if I have all the cross-compilers.
> I use the Denx ELDK for ARM as cross-compile toolchain.
>
> First, I discovered some build failures of which the logging is listed below.
> What can we do about these errors? Are these boards still maintained?
> Should these be fixed? Who wants to fix them?
> I currently run the 'MAKEALL arm' script to build all these boards, so
> either the boards should be fixed, or if no longer maintained removed
> (at least from the MAKEALL script)
I do the same weekly and on patch commit on arm and other arch as ppc, mips, sh4

for ARM I use different toolchains

> Further, is there any interest to make the daily build results public?
> * Is it appreciated if I post the build results in a daily post to the
> mailinglist, _if_ there is a build failure? (No news is good news)
> What format is preferred?
> * Or is it preferred to post the results on a website?
> * Or ...
a mail notice to the custodian will nice on new build issue
and a website

> Building U-boot:
> * branch: master
> * src-dir: /home/remy/nightbuild/git/u-boot
> Configuring for m501sk board...
> cpu/arm920t/at91rm9200/libat91rm9200.a(lowlevel_init.o): In function `SMRDATA':
> /home/remy/nightbuild/git/u-boot/cpu/arm920t/at91rm9200/lowlevel_init.S:132:
> undefined reference to `MC_PUIA_VAL'
> /home/remy/nightbuild/git/u-boot/cpu/arm920t/at91rm9200/lowlevel_init.S:132:
> undefined reference to `MC_PUP_VAL'
> /home/remy/nightbuild/git/u-boot/cpu/arm920t/at91rm9200/lowlevel_init.S:132:
> undefined reference to `MC_PUER_VAL'
The problem are already known and I've send patch to fix it just before my vacation

> Configuring for actux4 board...
> actux4.c: In function 'board_init':
> actux4.c:83: warning: left shift count >= width of type
> actux4.c:83: warning: left shift count >= width of type
>    text	   data	    bss	    dec	    hex	filename
>  222576	   6692	 550812	 780080
> be730	/home/remy/nightbuild/scratch/build/u-boot
Known too

> Configuring for ixdp425 board...
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target
> `/home/remy/nightbuild/scratch/build/cpu/ixp/npe/IxNpeMicrocode.o',
> needed by `/home/remy/nightbuild/scratch/build/cpu/ixp/npe/libnpe.a'.
> Stop.
> make: *** [/home/remy/nightbuild/scratch/build/cpu/ixp/npe/libnpe.a] Error 2

we can not add the IxNpeMicrocode.c due to licencing issue
a new way has be commit to allow the FW to be load from flash instead of
built-in

Best Regards,
J.