[U-Boot] [RFC] Build errors in u-boot mainline and daily builds

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 18:28:37 CET 2009

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Remy,
>
> In message <3efb10970901030310r7cfc1245g97ac0db4375ddc33 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>> I started a server to do only daily builds of all U-boot board
>> configurations. (currently on a old slow box, but it works, it takes
>> about 2 hours to build all boards for ARM only)

That's still not bad.

> I appreciate your efforts. Actually this is  something  everybody  is
> supposed  to  do  before  submitting  a  patch,  and  especially  the
> custodians before submitting a pull request.
>
> Unfortually, that's theory only :-(

An unenforceable demand. :-(  A build machine is the pragmatic solution,
but it puts the burden on the build machine maintainer.  :-/  Thanks for
volunteering, Remy. :-)

Side note: I've been looking at BuildBot but haven't done anything
useful.  I've looked at CruiseControl a few times and then I see how it
does the control logic in (haxtended) XML.  Bleah!

[snip]

>> Further, is there any interest to make the daily build results public?
>> * Is it appreciated if I post the build results in a daily post to the
>> mailinglist, _if_ there is a build failure? (No news is good news)
>> What format is preferred?
>
> Please do not post such results here.

Wolfgang: I would suggest another mailman list.  Interested parties can
subscribe to it, disinterested parties can look in the list archives if
they need to.  There probably isn't a need for long term archives, say 6
months (~2-3 releases).

>> * Or is it preferred to post the results on a website?
>
> Yes, that would be beter, IMO.

Web sites are awfully easy to ignore/forget. :-/

> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

Ditto,
gvb