[U-Boot] dtc/u-boot tool naming, "ftdump", "mkimage"

Matt Sealey matt at genesi-usa.com
Wed Jan 14 18:57:42 CET 2009

I just noticed (was told by an affiliate) that the DTC compiler tools
shares a tool name "ftdump" with the Freetype project. I was doing a
lazy packaging effort to get a few tools around so we can all be running
the same version and build some custom kernel RPMs, and this came up.

Wouldn't a better name be "fdtdump", do you think? It's usually not a
fun idea to conflict with tools already on the system. A user may run
"ftdump" and get the Freetype tool because of a simple mistake in paths
or so.

With regards to U-Boot proper, I would say the same is true of "mkimage"
which conflicts with jigdo. In essence, while U-Boot is usually
installed into a user's home directory (~/bin etc.) simple path mixups,
going to root shell, using another box etc. means you may have multiple
same-named tools on a system for various work, which do different things.

Is it possible that we could standardize on some tool naming here?

I'm going to rename in the package these tools to "mkuimage" (since this
goes well with suse mkzimage) and "fdtdump" for my package anyway so no
worries if nothing ever gets done.. but since the Fedora guys were
packaging dtc up right now I thought I would mention this as the RPM I
downloaded from FC10 the other day did not take note of this (and RPM
warns that there is a conflict but happily overwrites the file anyway,
thus trashing Freetype :)

(why am I packaging U-Boot tools like mkimage? We need them for
post-install script on a kernel RPM..)

--
Matt Sealey
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations