[U-Boot] dtc/u-boot tool naming, "ftdump", "mkimage"

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 19:10:28 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:57:42AM -0600, Matt Sealey wrote:
> I just noticed (was told by an affiliate) that the DTC compiler tools
> shares a tool name "ftdump" with the Freetype project. I was doing a
> lazy packaging effort to get a few tools around so we can all be running
> the same version and build some custom kernel RPMs, and this came up.
>
> Wouldn't a better name be "fdtdump", do you think? It's usually not a
> fun idea to conflict with tools already on the system. A user may run
> "ftdump" and get the Freetype tool because of a simple mistake in paths
> or so.
>
> With regards to U-Boot proper, I would say the same is true of "mkimage"
> which conflicts with jigdo. In essence, while U-Boot is usually
> installed into a user's home directory (~/bin etc.) simple path mixups,
> going to root shell, using another box etc. means you may have multiple
> same-named tools on a system for various work, which do different things.
>
> Is it possible that we could standardize on some tool naming here?
>
> I'm going to rename in the package these tools to "mkuimage" (since this
> goes well with suse mkzimage) and "fdtdump" for my package anyway so no
> worries if nothing ever gets done.. but since the Fedora guys were
> packaging dtc up right now I thought I would mention this as the RPM I
> downloaded from FC10 the other day did not take note of this (and RPM
> warns that there is a conflict but happily overwrites the file anyway,
> thus trashing Freetype :)

The Fedora package doesn't install ftdump.  Where did you get the package
from?

F9 machine:
[jwboyer at yoda ~]$ sudo repoquery -ql dtc
/usr/bin/dtc
/usr/share/doc/dtc-1.1.0
/usr/share/doc/dtc-1.1.0/GPL
[jwboyer at yoda ~]$

F10 machine:
[jwboyer at zod ~]$ sudo repoquery -ql dtc
/usr/bin/dtc
/usr/share/doc/dtc-1.2.0
/usr/share/doc/dtc-1.2.0/GPL
[jwboyer at zod ~]$

> (why am I packaging U-Boot tools like mkimage? We need them for
> post-install script on a kernel RPM..)

I tried to get it included in the kernel tarball.  It didn't get
very far because Sam was too busy to really reply.

josh