[U-Boot] Resubmitting plus update.

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 18:53:40 CET 2009

Thomas Delbeke wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 22:29:37 +0000
> From: "Thomas Delbeke" <toom2079 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [U-Boot] Winphlash
> To: u-boot at lists.denx.de
>
> Hi there,
>
> I am new here. Just wanted to ask you: is there a precompiled u-boot version
> available that I can flash with a tool like for instance Winphlash, that
> will work.
>
> I am a medium experienced ubuntu hobbyist and I tried to install it from
> there. I tried to follow the cook book from your website. I git cloned your
> rep and did the config make install thing. Then I tried crossmake, but the
> given package wasn't installed (I forgot the name) and the build of it
> failed. I could obviously use another java-crosscompiler from the ubuntu rep
> (found trough synaptic).
>
> I just prefer the Windows way, as I now the Winphlash thing works and I
> don't want to find out that I have to reflash my BIOS with a live FREEDOS
> disk because my system is now inoperable.
>
> Thanks for reliefing me from my ignorance,
>
> Thomas
>
> Update: Also see:
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6564773#post6564773

Hi Thomas,

U-Boot has almost no support for x86 architectures and definitely isn't
a "standard PC/laptop" BIOS replacement.  It is used for embedded
systems in a very different environment and application than a PC-BIOS.

While it is theoretically possible to flash your BIOS with u-boot, it
would be a MAJOR undertaking, starting with collecting manufacturer's
full data sheets for all the chips in your Acer (the data sheets are
usually unavailable due to proprietary restrictions and/or age).

You would also need a way to program a bricked motherboard as well,
which typically means a JTAG debugger (more $$$ than simply replacing
for your Acer).

Sorry,
gvb