[U-Boot] [MPC8272ADS/BDI2000]Can not program my u-boot into Flash

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Mon Jan 19 14:28:37 CET 2009

Jean-Michel Hautbois wrote:
> Hi everybody !
>
> I am currently trying to flash u-boot into my MPC8272ADS board, but it
> is not working.
> When I am launching the "PROG" command, it tells:
> "Programming u-boot.bin , please wait ....
> # Programming flash memory failed at 0x00000000"

[snip]

> Please find my config file attached.
> Thx & Best Regards
> JM

Hi JM,

Try disabling the workspace line:
;no;WORKSPACE   0x04700000	;workspace in target RAM for fast download

The workspace significantly speeds up programming by copying a helper
routine into RAM and then running that instead of bit-banging the writes
through the JTAG port.  The downside is that you have to have your RAM
properly configured for it to work.  Odds are pretty good this is biting
you.

If disabling the workspace works, you are on your way.  If and when you
need (want) more programming speed, you will have to figure out what is
misconfigured.

Personally, I only load the first u-boot (and an occasional oops-brick
fix) via JTAG.  I program all successive u-boots via u-boot itself, so I
generally don't bother with the workspace.

HTH,
gvb