[U-Boot] [MPC8272ADS/BDI2000]Can not program my u-boot into Flash

Jean-Michel Hautbois jhautbois at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 15:58:43 CET 2009

2009/1/19 Jerry Van Baren <gerald.vanbaren at ge.com>:
> Jean-Michel Hautbois wrote:
>>
>> Hi everybody !
>>
>> I am currently trying to flash u-boot into my MPC8272ADS board, but it
>> is not working.
>> When I am launching the "PROG" command, it tells:
>> "Programming u-boot.bin , please wait ....
>> # Programming flash memory failed at 0x00000000"
>
> [snip]
>
>> Please find my config file attached.
>> Thx & Best Regards
>> JM
>
> Hi JM,
>
> Try disabling the workspace line:
> ;no;WORKSPACE   0x04700000      ;workspace in target RAM for fast download
>
> The workspace significantly speeds up programming by copying a helper
> routine into RAM and then running that instead of bit-banging the writes
> through the JTAG port.  The downside is that you have to have your RAM
> properly configured for it to work.  Odds are pretty good this is biting
> you.
>
> If disabling the workspace works, you are on your way.  If and when you need
> (want) more programming speed, you will have to figure out what is
> misconfigured.
>
> Personally, I only load the first u-boot (and an occasional oops-brick fix)
> via JTAG.  I program all successive u-boots via u-boot itself, so I
> generally don't bother with the workspace.
>
> HTH,
> gvb

OK, I tried another configuration file from the abatron site, and I am
getting the same problem (see the file attached). Removing the
workspace doesn't change anything.

What seems curious to me, is :
">prog 0xFF900000 u-boot.bin
Programming u-boot.bin , please wait ....
# Programming flash memory failed at 0xff900002"

I don't understand why asking for writing into 0xFF900000 it is trying
to write into 0xFF980002...
I tried different bus width too...

JM