[U-Boot] nand erase cleanmarker and jffs2

Derek Ou derek at siconix.com
Tue Jan 20 22:26:23 CET 2009

Dear all,

What is the use of "nand erase clean"?  According to the source code, it
erases the NAND block and also writes the jffs2 cleanmarker to OOB
session.  Is this necessary to write a jffs2 file system?

I didn't run into any Linux file system problem when I erased a NAND
partitaion without clean flag and wrote the jffs2 file system there.
Currently, I only have a "jffs2_scan_inode_node() CRC failed on ..."
message and I think it's not related to how I erased the partition.  Am
I right?

By the way, the Linux tool seems to indicate that the size of
cleanmarker should be 12 bytes.  But it seems to be only 8 bytes from
our board/u-boot.  Which one is correct?

Many thanks.
Derek