[U-Boot] Kernel loading and memory layout

Vinay Venkataraghavan raghavanvinay at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 01:09:21 CET 2009

Greetings,

I am new to using uboot but have gone through the code to a certain degree but still have some questions.

1. Where does uboot transfer control to the linux kernel. By this I mean which file in the source code would I look for this.

    Would it for example be in :  arch/powerpc/boot and in one of the assembly language files?

2. I went through and did a lot of reading on how grub loads a linux kernel.

    Is the memory layout of uboot similar to that of grub. If not, how and where do I find more information on how does uboot layout the memory and
    where is the real-mode portion of the kernel loaded and where is the protected mode portion of the kernel loaded etc.

   Any pointers to the source code would greatly help.

Any other information to get me started along these lines would be of great help.

Thank you.
Vinay