[U-Boot] boot linux kernel from NAND

Matt Gessner mgessner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 16:35:12 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 4:02 AM, roundrobin <iram.shahzad at jp.fujitsu.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> We have a custom board where we are using u-boot to
> boot linux kernel from NOR flash. This is working alright.
>
> However, we are planning to replace the NOR flash with
> NAND flash. There will be no NOR flash on the board.
> So I need to boot linux kernel from NAND.

I use the command:

   nboot.i 20000000 primary

primary is in my mtdparts environment variable:

   mtdparts=nand:7m at 0m(primary),7m at 7m(secondary,2m at 14m(config)

mtdids is
   nand0=nand

partition is
   nand0,0

> My question is what works do I need to do so that u-boot
> can boot linux from NAND? Do I need to implement something
> like a NAND driver for u-boot, or do I just need to modify
> some u-boot configurations?

You're going to have to configure your nand flash in your board config
file.  I believe there are sufficient examples for you to read.