[U-Boot] Enabling POST for canyonlands board

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jan 30 15:17:56 CET 2009

Dear Afzal Nadirshah,

In message <174230991E95D743B0C91DF471EF44E8434393E964 at MTW02MSG02.mindtree.com> you wrote:

>      Thanks for the reply. I looked into the file that you mentioned and also the README as well as the POST directory.
>       I could not go into the details very minutely. From this I have understood that
> 1. Support for POST for canyonlands board is present.

No. That's not quite correct. There is no specific POST support for
the PPC460 nor for the Canyonlands board.

There is generic support for 4xx which has been inplemented for and
tested on 440EPx intensively, and which has been enabled on other
boards as well without noticing any obvious problems.

If you need POST support for the 460, you will have to:

- go through the 460 specific processor features like special
  registers etc. anc check if (1) the existing code is still correct
  for the 460 and (2) if it covers all the features that should be
  tested
- go through board support for canyonlands and adapt the configuration
  for POST (like I2C addresses to verify, etc.)

> 2. To enable POST for canyonlands board, I only have to define the required macros.

No, this is not sufficient. You have to check the processor  and  the
board  support.  And  you  have  to  test  this, then. This is not as
trivial as it might  seem.  Good  POST  requires  a  really  intimate
understanding  of  all  parts  of  the  hardware involvec, processor,
board, etc.

> 3. I do not have to add / modify code to test the peripherals on the canyonlands board.

I think it is likely that you have to do that, if you want to do it
right.

> Could you please let me know if I have understood it correctly?

No, your view was too simplistic.

> Thanks a lot. I am hard pressed for time and your suggestions are invaluable.

Doing good POST and lack of time should never be used in the same
context - they are on opposite ends of the scale.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The use of Microsoft crippleware systems is a sin that  carries  with
it its own punishment.
         -- Tom Christiansen in <6bo3fr$pj8$5 at csnews.cs.colorado.edu>