[U-Boot] NAND boot for mpc8536ds

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Thu Jul 2 19:15:48 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 02:46:17PM +0200, Stefan Bohne wrote:
> Hello, everyone,
>
> I have to set up a customized board based on the mpc8536ds which boots from
> nand flash. I'm new to U-Boot and PowerPCs, but I understand that most of
> the necessary code is already there in U-Boot and that the mpc8536ds
> configuration has to be extended to support nand boot. Could you give me
> some hints as to where to start, which #defines I have to look at or which
> other board configuration to use as reference?

You may want to look at the u-boot provided by Freescale's BSP for
various mpc85xx boards -- I think some of them have boot-from-NAND
support, which hasn't been pushed upstream yet.  Not sure if mpc8536ds
has it, but it may.

Otherwise, you can look at mpc8313erdb, which supports booting from the
same NAND controller -- but it's a different chip family, so the init
sutff will be different.  For example, I believe the BSP 85xx NAND loader
puts u-boot into locked L2 cache (allowing the full u-boot to do memory
init), which doesn't exist on 8313.

-Scott