[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Jean-Christian de Rivaz jc at eclis.ch
Thu Jul 2 19:21:40 CEST 2009

Robin Getz a écrit :
> On Thu 2 Jul 2009 09:56, Richard Stallman pondered:
>> This clause is not an exception to the requirement for installation
>> information.  Cell phones must offer installation information just like
>> other User Products.
>
> Right - but the cell phone provider should have the ability to alter the state
> of the device (not allow the radio to be turned on), so it can't "adversely
> affects the operation of the network" - shouldn't they?
>
> Or is this where one person's freedom (the ability to modify their phone, and
> turn it into a jamming device), is more important than the freedom of
> everyone else to actually use their phones on the same network. (Which
> actually - wouldn't be a completely bad idea - when I have been standing near
> someone talking too loud into their phone in a public place, I often wish for
> a jam the network app on my phone :)

An operator can only deny the access to his network. It can't *legaly*
modify the user device without the user agreement. A user is
*technically* free to modify a device to do what he want. But it can't
*legaly* emit a signal not in conformance to the relevant regulations.
There is a lot of them in the case of the a GSM/3G device:
http://www.3gpp.mobi/specifications

Jean-Christian de Rivaz