[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Pink Boy dasfoo at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 3 00:34:30 CEST 2009

Robin Getz sez,

> Assuming that the _licensed_ amateur could modify the phone enough
> that it _could_ operate on frequencies allocated for amateur use.

> The only thing that would be potentially close is a European GSM phone:

>             Rx           Tx
> E-GSM-900   880.0–915.0  925.0–960.0 MHz
> R-GSM-900   876.0–915.0  921.0–960.0 MHz
> T-GSM-900   870.4–876.0  915.4–921.0 MHz

> & the US amateur band at 902 - 928 MHz.

That would be the US ISM band.

> I don't think any of the CDMA phones are close enough to the amateur bands to
> have a hope of working - but I'm not as familiar with CDMA as GSM.

Since I actually do wireless work I'll make another comment.

There are research and development exemptions to the licensing requirements.
Ergo I can build, test or modify any radio I want for research purposes no license
required.

What I can't do is deploy or sell them.

Even with licensed devices changes to the hardware or firmware are
allowed as long an an engineer believes that the changes will not have
any effect on the radio's meeting the applicable standards.

Also for radios operating on the cellular band there are really two
licenses.  One is the regulatory license.  The other is the carriers
certification.

Matt Harper
Tehama Wireless