[U-Boot] Need assistance with increasing command line size on Cavium

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Fri Jul 3 12:33:25 CEST 2009

Hi Frank,

>>> As I cannot see any Cavium support in mainline U-Boot, when can we
>>> expect the patches adding support to be posted? :)
>>
>> Crud. If they've been hacking U-boot, then I can't say when it can be
>> released as I don't own the code :(...
>> -Garrett
>
> If they've use U-boot and did modification to the source code, the GPL state
> that they must make their modification available for the public (under the
> same license).

Actually the GPL states that if you receive a copy of the program, then
you have those rights.  As long as you do not distribute a changed GPLv2
program, nobody has any right on your changes.  As it turned out, this
also is the case if you use GPLed software to offer e.g. webservices -
i.e. as the program is not distributed, not even as a user of these
services you have a right to see the modifications.  The latter fact is
addressed by the Affero GPL.

> Since it's already available for consumers, I guess that the port development
> is finished? Just send them an e-mail and ask for the U-Boot support patch for
> their product.

Garret obviously received a copy of the program, so he has the right to
get the sources.  He should exercise that right.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
To you I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.
                                        -- Woody Allen