[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3?

Remy Bohmer linux at bohmer.net
Tue Jul 7 21:16:02 CEST 2009

Hello Wolfgang,

2009/7/6 Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de>:
> Dear Jerry Van Baren,
>
>> 3) U-Boot currently has an explicit license to run "stand alone
>> applications" that have a GPL-incompatible license.
>
> Thanks for mentioning this. But  this  is  explicitly  restricted  to
> "stand  alone  applications",  with  a  pretty tightly limited set of
> functions exported to such code. It is not intended  to  be  extended
> into  something  like  loadable  modules that can access much more of
> U-Boot's internal code.

AFAIK this limitation of extension is not stated anywhere in the
documentation that is delivered with U-boot. (If I am wrong, please
point me to the location where this is stated)

So, I guess every user of U-boot is allowed to extend that interface
to even the complete symbol map of U-boot, without doing anything in
conflict with the license. You can now say it is not intended, but it
is not restricted.

Kind Regards,

Remy