[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 7 23:17:05 CEST 2009

Dear Remy,

In message <3efb10970907071216h57288a2an91701c1c851dea9e at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > Thanks for mentioning this. But  this  is  explicitly  restricted  to
> > "stand  alone  applications",  with  a  pretty tightly limited set of
> > functions exported to such code. It is not intended  to  be  extended
> > into  something  like  loadable  modules that can access much more of
> > U-Boot's internal code.
>
> AFAIK this limitation of extension is not stated anywhere in the
> documentation that is delivered with U-boot. (If I am wrong, please
> point me to the location where this is stated)

True.

> So, I guess every user of U-boot is allowed to extend that interface
> to even the complete symbol map of U-boot, without doing anything in
> conflict with the license. You can now say it is not intended, but it
> is not restricted.

Right. But try it - banging your head against the nearest wall  might
be a pastime with more opportunities for reward.

And don't expect that such an "extension" had any  chance  for  going
into the mainline code.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The only way you could make a happy  marriage  is  by  cuttin'  their
heads  off  as  soon  as  they say `I do', yes? You can't make happi-
ness...                           - Terry Pratchett, _Witches Abroad_