[U-Boot] U-boot environment on Sheevaplug

Simon Kagstrom simon.kagstrom at netinsight.net
Wed Jul 8 15:59:27 CEST 2009

Hi Prafulla (and the list)!

I'm wondering a bit how Sheevaplug handles the U-boot environment area.
On OpenRD base it's stored on the NAND flash, and is protected by a
4-bit ECC as required when read by the boot prom - it just goes
together with the rest of the u-boot image.

The Marvell-supplied 1.1.4 version has code to handle this (basically
switches to Reed-Solomon when reading/saving the environment), but it
doesn't work with upstream U-boot. If I disable ECC altogether (in
kirkwood_nand.c) I can read the environment, but since U-boot doesn't
use Reed-Solomon, the soft ECC option doesn't cut it.

Is the situation the same with sheevaplug? I see there are patches for
OpenOCD to handle the same thing there,

  http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/openocd-development/2009-May/006413.html

so perhaps something similar is bound for U-boot as well?

// Simon