[U-Boot] Copyright/License text in cpu/ppc4xx/4xx_pci.c

Scott McNutt smcnutt at psyent.com
Tue Jul 21 16:09:24 CEST 2009

Gentlemen,

First, my apologies for ignoring this thread for so long.

As I recall, I was the person that added this file to ppcboot
almost 7 years ago when I added the first Book E support.

Matthias Fuchs wrote:
> Did you have a look into include ppc440.h?

I took a pretty close look. There's still considerable
original content in the current file. But the amount
doesn't matter, it's a derivative work, period.

> It contains the "old" IBM copyright and (!!!) a GPL header with
> copyrights from five IBM people.
>
> Hmm, does this bring us any further?

I don't see any incompatibility with GPL here ... nor did I see
any issues 7 years ago. The clause,

   "No license under IBM patents or patent applications is
   to be implied by the copyright license."

does not throw a monkey wrench into u-boot as the "royalty-free
redistribution" of the _code_ is not affected. In fact, the
IBM notice clearly states:

   "Anyone receiving this source is licensed under IBM
   copyrights to use it in any way he or she deems fit,
   including copying it, modifying it, compiling it, and
   redistributing it either with or without modifications."

IBM is simply making it clear that the copyright does not
imply coverage of their patented or patent-pending inventions
and/or processes (i.e. that copyright applies only to the
code).

In any case, I appreciate these discussions -- they are vital
to maintaining a "clean" household and help improve our overall
discipline ... which can wane from time to time.

Regards,
--Scott