[U-Boot] Copyright/License text in cpu/ppc4xx/4xx_pci.c

Robin Getz rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org
Wed Jul 8 19:50:11 CEST 2009

On Wed 8 Jul 2009 11:51, Wolfgang Denk pondered:

GPLv2 (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.txt) states:
> 6. [snip] You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients'
>   exercise of the rights granted herein. [snip]

I think that is pretty clear. The IBM notice is not GPL2 compatible - since it
places additional restrictions on the end user.

In fact, in looking closer - the patent license are completely incompatible...

IBM:
 >  * No license under IBM patents or
 >  * patent applications is to be implied by the copyright license.

GPLv2:
 > if a patent license would not permit royalty-free redistribution of the
 > Program by all those who receive copies directly or indirectly through
 > you, then the only way you could satisfy both it and this License would
 > be to refrain entirely from distribution of the Program.

However - your milage may vary - I'm not a lawyer - Anyone who looks to
technical mailing lists for licensing compatibility questions is going to get
bad advice. This may be one of those times...

-Robin