[U-Boot] Copyright/License text in cpu/ppc4xx/4xx_pci.c

Matthias Fuchs matthias.fuchs at esd-electronics.com
Wed Jul 8 20:24:36 CEST 2009

Hi,

> Dear Matthias Fuchs,

> > > Yes, this could be the case.

> > > I'm not sure here. The paragraph clearly states:
> > >
> > >  *       Any person who transfers this source code or any derivative work
> > >  *       must include the IBM copyright notice, this paragraph, and the
> > >  *       preceding two paragraphs in the transferred software.
> > >
> > > So even if the current version has not much in common with the original
> > > version (IIRC cloned from IBM PIBS), we still have to carry it with us. At
> > > least this is how I interpret it.
> > But we could prepend the typical header which brings us to something like this:
>
> You could do it, but you  are  eventually  not  permitted  to  do  it
> legally.
>
> The fact that you "must include the IBM copyright notice, this
> paragraph, and the preceding two paragraphs in the transferred
> software" may or may not be compatible with GPL - IANAL...

Same with me. I cannot understand how maybe-GPL-incompatable
sources can be part of U-Boot. This file is not the only one.
Also the top level README says that the sources are under the GPL.
So does it even play any role when the GPL lines are not contained in some files?
Isn't it enough to have the licence of the whole project mentioned once?

To be on the legal side, I will keep the GPL note off this file.
Same with me. IANAL. And I am not very motivated to become one sooner or later.

Matthias