[U-Boot] Copyright/License text in cpu/ppc4xx/4xx_pci.c

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Thu Jul 9 11:51:51 CEST 2009

On Thursday 09 July 2009 11:24:39 Matthias Fuchs wrote:
> > Yes, those files don't have much in common any more. Only some comments
> > (which could be removed or rewritten) and and the sequence of some
> > register initialisation. But again, IANAL and I don't really know if we
> > can remove the IBM header with such a history.
>
> It seems nobody is a lawyer! So I think this issue cannot be solved by
> the U-boot community and therefore the only way seems to be the removal
> of this file in August as stated in the feature-removal plan.
>
> I will not start cleaning up this file as it seems to be a waste of
> time when the file will be removed in August.
>
> Stefan, how do you plan to reach the August goal?

I just realised in this thread that this IBM license is incompatible with the
GPL. So it's new to me. And even worse, it doesn't only affect the PCI code
but also the 4xx EMAC code.

So if we have to really remove all the code with this IBM header, 4xx support
will be in really bad shape. :-(

So it's even more important to know, if such files as this 4xx PCI code, which
has nearly nothing in common with the original IBM code, can move to GPL. Not
sure how to solve this issue though. Perhaps we should ask somebody at IBM?

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de