[U-Boot] Copyright/License text in cpu/ppc4xx/4xx_pci.c

Matthias Fuchs matthias.fuchs at esd.eu
Thu Jul 9 11:24:39 CEST 2009

On Thursday 09 July 2009 11:00, Stefan Roese wrote:
> On Thursday 09 July 2009 10:44:13 Matthias Fuchs wrote:
> > I just checked the nine years old initial version of 405gp_pci.c:
> >
> > http://ppcboot.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ppcboot/ppcboot/cpu/ppc4xx/405gp_
> >pci.c?revision=1.1&view=markup
> >
> > I do not see that this file has anything in common with the current
> > 4xx_pci.c code! One could say that setting up the PMM registes looks a
> > little as is comes from the old IBM code, but can writing zeros into some
> > registers really stop us from cleaning up this license issue?
>
> Yes, those files don't have much in common any more. Only some comments (which
> could be removed or rewritten) and and the sequence of some register
> initialisation. But again, IANAL and I don't really know if we can remove the
> IBM header with such a history.
It seems nobody is a lawyer! So I think this issue cannot be solved by
the U-boot community and therefore the only way seems to be the removal
of this file in August as stated in the feature-removal plan.

I will not start cleaning up this file as it seems to be a waste of
time when the file will be removed in August.

Stefan, how do you plan to reach the August goal?

> > If so, I see no way to reach the GPL cleanup goal.
> >
> > I will submit a cleanup patch for the 4xx_pci.c when we are common in this
> > point. I also request "Ack-bys" at least from you and Stefan on my patch to
> > not have one foot in the grave :-)
>
> Heh, don't be such a coward! No risk, no fun! ;)
When I go through my posting I must admit that I never said IANAL.
But many others did. Perhaps we can setup an open source developer jail
where everything is allowed because they cannot put you deeper in jail :-)

Matthias