[U-Boot] [RFC] CONFIG naming convetion

Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD plagnioj at jcrosoft.com
Sat Jul 18 17:52:35 CEST 2009

On 11:15 Sat 18 Jul     , Robin Getz wrote:
> On Sat 18 Jul 2009 07:03, Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD pondered:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > 	Currently we have a mess in the drivers CONFIG naming convention
> > 	as example on I2C we have
> > 	CONFIG_I2C_XXXXX
> > 	CONFIG_DRIVER_XXX_I2C
> > 	CONFIG_XXXX_I2C
> > 	CONFIG_SYS_I2C_XXXX
> >
> > 	I think it will good to have common and clean naming convention
> > 	so I'll propose we use this one
> > 	CONFIG_namespace_XXXXX
> > 	and
> > 	CONFIG_SYS_namespace_XXXXX
> >
> > 	so it will resutly for I2C to this
> >
> > 	CONFIG_I2C_XXXXX
> > 	CONFIG_SYS_I2C_XXXX
> >
> > 	and the Makefile and KConfig it will be easier to sort and read
>
> I think this goes way beyond I2C....
>
> There are ~4866 unique options in ./include/configs/*
>
> Most of which have no name spaces at all, some are not even
> used in any source files (that are in mainline anyway).
>
> We have 2815, which already start with CONFIG_SYS_xxx, like
> CONFIG_SYS_16M_MBMR  Which is used in a single board:

CONFIG_SYS_
is already well defined
README extract
* Configuration _SETTINGS_:
	These depend on the hardware etc. and should not be meddled with if
	you don't know what you're doing; they have names beginning with
	"CONFIG_SYS_".

so we do not need to touch non subsystem thinks on contrary of i2c, pci, nand etc...

> It doesn't appear very "system" oriented to me...
it's as we had reorganise the drivers file place as example or
the common Makefile and continue to do it eveyday (take a look on Peter e-mail
about arch dir)

> It would be nice to come up with some list of namespaces, and what they
> they should be used for...
>
> For example, should it be:
> CONFIG_DRIVER_OMAP24XX_I2C
> or
> CONFIG_SYS_I2C_DRIVER_OMAP24XX
> or
> CONFIG_DRIVER_I2C_OMAP24XX
DRIVER is really un-nessary IMHO

> Again - which is only used in one place:
> drivers/i2c/Makefile:COBJS-$(CONFIG_DRIVER_OMAP24XX_I2C) += omap24xx_i2c.o
> include/configs/omap2420h4.h:#define CONFIG_DRIVER_OMAP24XX_I2C
>
> Which is fine - since it is a driver, which I'm sure that people out of tree use.
brake out of tree thinks is really not a problem
I'll never consider out of tree thinks to be an obstacle to move on

> we assumed that it was:
> CONFIG_DRIVER_NAND_BFIN
>
> but it depends on who added it...
> CONFIG_PATA_BFIN
when you'll write Kconfig
you will have something like this

config	PATA_BFIN
	bool "Blackfing Pata driver"
	depend on BLACKFIN

> drivers/block/Makefile:COBJS-$(CONFIG_PATA_BFIN) += pata_bfin.o
> include/configs/bf548-ezkit.h:#define CONFIG_PATA_BFIN
>
> I would think should be CONFIG_DRIVERS_PATA_BFIN
too long at the end

Best Regards,
J.