[U-Boot] [RFC] CONFIG naming convetion

Robin Getz rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org
Sat Jul 18 23:30:15 CEST 2009

On Sat 18 Jul 2009 11:52, Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD pondered:
> On 11:15 Sat 18 Jul     , Robin Getz wrote:
> > It doesn't appear very "system" oriented to me...
> it's as we had reorganise the drivers file place as example or
> the common Makefile and continue to do it eveyday (take a look on Peter e-mail
> about arch dir)
> >
> > It would be nice to come up with some list of namespaces, and what they
> > they should be used for...
> >
> > For example, should it be:
> > CONFIG_DRIVER_OMAP24XX_I2C
> > or
> > CONFIG_SYS_I2C_DRIVER_OMAP24XX
> > or
> > CONFIG_DRIVER_I2C_OMAP24XX
>
> DRIVER is really un-nessary IMHO

It doesn't cost extra $ to keep 6 letters - and makes it alot more clear
about what it does.

I understand the point about having really _long_ names, and personally
think things like "ThisVariableIsATemporaryCounter" are brain dead, but
I don't think we have hit that yet with CONFIG_ yet.

We already have lots (419) that are over 30 chars, and some over 40!

40 CONFIG_SYS_TFTP_BLINK_STATUS_ON_DATA_IN
41 CONFIG_SYS_MONAHANS_TURBO_RUN_MODE_RATIO
41 CONFIG_SYS_MPC8220_SYSPLL_VCO_MULTIPLIER
42 CONFIG_SYS_PCI_SUBSYS_DEVICEID_NONMONARCH