[U-Boot] [RFC] CONFIG naming convetion

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 20 16:27:40 CEST 2009

Dear Alessandro Rubini,

In message <20090720080226.GA2463 at mail.gnudd.com> you wrote:

> What about "DRV" or even "D" if you insist?   CONFIG_D_I2C_SOFT ?

That's longer than needed, and nobody will understand what the "D_"
stands for.

> I personally find the config files pretty unreadable. Options that
> enable a driver should be different from those that select a
> behaviour, in my opinion.

So what do you think when you read "CONFIG_I2C_SOFT" ?

So many people here seem to take Linux as reference - why not here?

Does Linux use "CONFIG_DRIVER_E1000", "CONFIG_DRIVER_I2C",
"CONFIG_DRIVER_IDE", "CONFIG_DRIVER_SCSI" or "CONFIG_DRIVER_SPI"?

No! Linux uses "CONFIG_E1000", "CONFIG_I2C", "CONFIG_IDE",
"CONFIG_SCSI" and "CONFIG_SPI".

> While people responsible for their board know all the stuff they
> wrote, but when someone undergoes a more general code change several or
> all config files must be checked. A driver namespace would help, in my
> opionion.

Linux has an order of magnitude more drivers than U-Boot, and they do
well without this.  We don't need this either.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of
play.
	-- Kirk, "Shore Leave", stardate 3025.8