[U-Boot] Rejected: PATCH Nios2 kernel bootstrap error due to missing processor data cache flush: fix

Scott McNutt smcnutt at psyent.com
Thu Jul 23 03:41:13 CEST 2009

Wolfgang Wegner wrote:
> Dear Scott, Wolfgang,
>
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 02:02:43PM -0400, Scott McNutt wrote:
>> ... for a two line bug fix?
>>
>> This is hardly a valid reason to claim copyright on the module.
>>
>> This practice will only discourage the contribution of original work
>> to the project. Nobody wants to have their work hijacked in such a
>> manner.
>
> So you really think your practice will encourage anybody to submit a
> clean patch for a bug he spent days (or weeks) to find?

Many contributors have done so, many times, for many years,
across many different architectures, myself included.

The amount of time I have spent doing so is insignificant when
compared to the benefits I have enjoyed from the generous
contributions of _others_. It's one of the small ways I can
express my gratitude for the privilege of using such contributions.

But this is all irrelevant and off point, no? I am very happy
to hear that someone can benefit from the code I spent many, many
weeks to develop in my spare time ... code that I have offered
freely. So don't enjoy the benefit, then claim co-ownership after
adding two lines. At the very best, that's presumptuous.

And yes, if that was considered accepted practice, I doubt I'd make
any significant original contributions again.

Best Regards,
--Scott