[U-Boot] potential Uboot Ping problem

Peter Tyser ptyser at xes-inc.com
Tue Jun 2 00:22:52 CEST 2009

Hi Steven,

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 08:03 -0700, Steven Zedeck wrote:
> I guess thats good news. I looked inside the cmd_ping code a bit. I bet
> there's a "while" loop somewhere that is waiting for something and may not
> have a timeout loop. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Please don't top post, it makes the conversation hard to follow.
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

> Premi, Sanjeev wrote:

Ideally, if there is no link, the ping command should just exit
gracefully without attempting network operations.  Eg on my 8561-based
board with no cables plugged in:
=> ping 192.168.1.1
Auto-neg error, defaulting to 10BT/HD
eTSEC1: No link.
Auto-neg error, defaulting to 10BT/HD
eTSEC2: No link.
ping failed; host 192.168.1.1 is not alive

<there is no delay in the printing of the above info>.

The tsec driver's init function returns -1 when link isn't detected.
Perhaps your ethernet driver should do the same?

What happens if you ping a non-existent IP address?  Does that also hang
the board?  Do other network operations hang the board if no ethernet
cable is plugged in?

Best,
Peter