[U-Boot] TSEC ethernet controller problems (crc errors / corruption)

Ira Snyder iws at ovro.caltech.edu
Tue Jun 2 21:46:59 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 08:50:04PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Ira Snyder,
>
> In message <20090602162757.GA6979 at ovro.caltech.edu> you wrote:
> >
> > I've been working on a custom board, based heavily on the Freescale
> > MPC8349EMDS board. The only major difference is that the board has some
> > FPGAs connected to the local bus.
> >
> > I've found that the TSEC / gianfar ethernet does not work for me in
> > 1000mbit mode. I constantly get "got error 4" from U-Boot, which means
> > that a CRC error was detected by the TSEC controller.
> >
> > I have tried running the TSEC in 100mbit mode, without any problems. I
> > can tftp as much data as I want in U-Boot, and I've transferred many,
> > many gigabytes without issue in Linux. The problem is only with 1000mbit
> > mode.
>
> I read that the same problem happens in Linux when running at
> 1000mbit. Is this understanding correct?

Yes. Both U-Boot and Linux exhibit problems at 1000mbit. Both work
without errors at 100mbit.

> Does running with root file system mounted over NFS work on this
> board? Does it work at 1000mbit, too?

100mbit: yes
1000mbit: no

If I boot up the board with the ethernet cable in a 100mbit port, then
move the cable to a 1000mbit port, the NFS code says "server not
responding" in <10 seconds.

> Did you try and re-check the memory controller initialization?

See Dave's comments in reply your message. I've just re-checked that the
memory configuration I expect is in the correct registers.

Thanks,
Ira