[U-Boot] [RFC] Menu Frameworj

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Jun 14 12:22:00 CEST 2009

Dear Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD,

In message <20090614092233.GE22856 at game.jcrosoft.org> you wrote:

> > > new code that I write myself why?
> >
> > This is bad. Re-inventing the wheel again and again does not make it
> > better.
> I write what I need

So do I. And I write it from scratch when I cannot find existing code
that does what I need, or that  I  consider  unacceptable  for  other
easons.  But whenever I find existing soplutions I try to reuse them.
That's the core idea of software engineering.

> > May I please ask you to read it now, and either adapt it or come up
> > with a compatible implementation?
> >
> > I'd rather see convergence and consolidation (i. e. pulling
> > out-of-tree features into mainline) instead of ever growing
> > divergence.
> why? They have no wish to come mainline.

But you do.

> I'll no adapt the API I use for my own need to match theirs
> If they want to use it they can do it but I'll not do the effort for them

And I hereby state that I will not accept any new  menu  system  code
into U-Boot mainline until it has been at least checked if there is a
way to unify this with the Openmoko approach.

You prefer your own code, so please prove that it is so  much  better
than  the  Openmoko  code.  Otherwise  your  efforts  would be better
invested in pulling their code into mainline, and extending  /  adap-
ting it such that it fits your purposes.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If all the Chinese simultaneously jumped into the Pacific  off  a  10
foot platform erected 10 feet off their coast, it would cause a tidal
wave that would destroy everything in this country west of Nebraska.