[U-Boot] [RFC] Menu Frameworj

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Jun 14 12:44:18 CEST 2009

Dear Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD,

In message <20090614102930.GA22102 at game.jcrosoft.org> you wrote:

> > > why? They have no wish to come mainline.
> >
> > But you do.
> I do not as I'm not pay to merge them stuff

You want to get *your* code into mainline, and this will not happen
unless there is a good reason to accept your new, most likely
incompatible.

> > And I hereby state that I will not accept any new  menu  system  code
> > into U-Boot mainline until it has been at least checked if there is a
> > way to unify this with the Openmoko approach.
> I'll not do it as Openmoko guys do not want to do the effort to come mainline
> I'm not pay to do this job. Feel free to ask them I'll not waste my time
> on this ask again

Frankly, that's a pretty stupid point of view. Closing one's eyes and
intentionally ignoring existing solutions is a waste of efforts.

It's not that you were helping "the Openmoko guys".  It's  about  you
helping  yourself  to reduce the amount of work - short term (when it
comes to designing and implementing it - ok, this chance has  already
been lost) and long term (whenit comes to maintaining it).

> > You prefer your own code, so please prove that it is so  much  better
> > than  the  Openmoko  code.  Otherwise  your  efforts  would be better
> > invested in pulling their code into mainline, and extending  /  adap-
> > ting it such that it fits your purposes.
> I do think we need to not work this way if they want to come mainline THEY need to
> do this effort I will not do it for them

I don't care what Openmoko is doing. If my understanding is right,
they don't even use U-Boot any more - it was helpful for them during
development, but now they don't need and use it any more.

But I do care about code divergence, and I don't want to  see  thirty
implementations  of  the  very same feature, all of them different in
mninor details. I  cannot  prevent  that  this  happens  in  so  many
out-of-tree  prots,  but  I  can  try  to  prevent that it happens in
mainline.

My position is clear enough, I think.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Don't hit a man when he's down - kick him; it's easier.