[U-Boot] PATCH: bugfix for nand erase failure with bad blocks

Michele De Candia (VT) michele.decandia at valueteam.com
Wed Jun 17 09:18:13 CEST 2009

Scott Wood wrote:
> Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>> Dear "Michele De Candia (VT)",

>>> I think that 'erase' should have the same behaviour of 'write' and
>>> 'read' commands: skip bad blocks until read/write size is reached.
>>> If you write a script that erases and then writes a NAND area and
>>> bad blocks are not skipped while erasing (as U-Boot actually does),
>>> the following 'write'  is successfully done but ECC checks fail on
>>> next read on the same area.
>>
>> I see - thanks for the explanation.
>>
>> Hm... actually I think the write should fail in such a case...
>>
>> Scott, what do you think?
>
> I think the current behavior is reasonable.  You're erasing a specific
> region of flash, not an amount needed to hold a certain amount of data.

 From this point of view you're in the right; maybe this would be
explained in 'README.nand' documentation or what do you think about add
ing an option to 'nand erase' command to consider 'size' field as the
effective blocks size to be erased and not as the area size?

--

*Michele Jr **De Candia*

Value Team

Via Vespri Siciliani, 9
20146 Milano
Tel. +39 0248985722
michele.decandia at valueteam.com <mailto:michele.decandia at valueteam.com>
http://www.valueteam.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE -This message and its attachments (if any) may
contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information and
is intended only for the use of the addressee named above. No
notified that you must not use, disseminate, copy it in any form or take
any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error
please delete it and any copies of it and kindly inform the sender of
this e-mail by replying or go to www.valueteam.com
<http://www.valueteam.com> on 'contacts'.