[U-Boot] mcf5445x watchdog support in U-Boot

Matthew Lear matt at bubblegen.co.uk
Thu Jun 18 15:40:14 CEST 2009

Hi TsiChung,

I can supply you my patch for a watchdog driver implementation for 5445x
to test with if you like? I've not fed it back to Freescale yet. Will do
though. It's based on 2.6.29.

Is there a mechanism to allow U-Boot to indicate to Linux that it has
enabled the watchdog (eg as part of the bd_info struct maybe)? Just a
thought... It could then be kicked at kernel arch init and then repeatedly
by Linux user space via /dev/watchdog if required by the application. The
reason I suggested kicking the watchdog in arch init is to give Linux a
chance to boot (kernel and user) before the watchdog times out. Obviously
several things could prevent this (eg tasks that take time before user
space starts for example fsck etc).

I'm sure other U-Boot developers/maintainers have thought about this..?
Thoughts?

In any case, I need to enable the watchdog in U-Boot for a mcf54451 based
platform because need it in our system (we're using an mcf54455 evb as
reference hw). I'm happy to help in the development / testing etc. Please
just let me know.

Best regards,
--  Matt