[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 17:56:19 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Jean-Christophe
PLAGNIOL-VILLARD<plagnioj at jcrosoft.com> wrote:
> On 16:51 Thu 18 Jun     , Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was asked about relicensing U-Boot as GPLv3:
> I'm not for the GPLv3 I've the same opinion as Linus Torvald
>
> And as we share a lot's of code with Linux we should continue and not use the
> GPLv3 at all

Isn't there a practical consideration too? Since copyright assignment
isn't required on u-boot contributions, you would have to track down
all of the contributors and get their permission for the licensing
change. Mozilla had to do this when they changed their license and it
took them two years to find everyone.  Linus has stated that tracking
down all of the contributors to the kernel is virtually impossible.