[U-Boot] Marvell Kirkwood newbie question GPIO functions

Dieter Kiermaier dk-arm-linux at gmx.de
Fri Jun 19 11:46:51 CEST 2009

Prafulla,

(...deleted some stuff...)
> > > What patches are in the pipeline?
>
> Some other board supports (MV88F6281GTW_GE) and Kirkwood SPI driver support
> Kirkwood USB support (at this moment)

Also very interesting :)

(...deleted, too...)

> > What I forgot to mention is the i2c driver inside u-boot.
> > I need this to read the mac address from an additional eeprom.
> > This makes mass production more ease and doesn't produce
> > hight costs :)
>
> Kirkwood has in-built i2c(TWSI) controller, well.. the plans are in place
> enable driver for it, but this is not blocking issue right now hence
> pending ;-)
>
> Just FYI: you can protect some flash sector and use it in place of eeprom,
> this will lower the board cost and complexity too.
>
> But if you are planning to use some different GPIOs for i2c and bit-banged
> driver on the top of it, then you will need gpio control, so you can do it
> by using simple readl/writel calls meanwhile driver to come in :-)

Yes, I thought about that, too. GPIO support will also be helpful for doing
this!
Do you have some snippets how to readl/writel by hand?

> The best way I will suggest you is:
> Put pre-programmed eeprom around Kirkwood TWSI interface and enable "TWSI
> serial ROM initialization" you don't need anything else for this. (I hope
> you are having enough kirkwood documentation) Ref: table 32:
> http://www.marvell.com/files/products/embedded_processors/kirkwood/HW_88F62
>81_OpenSource.pdf

Good idea - I will read about that.
I've got access to all documents - including an marvell web account for
internal documents.

Regards,
Dieter